Living in Madison!
Living off-campus can be a fun and exciting time, and we are here to help you with all of your off-campus needs. We want you to have an extraordinary and successful off-campus living experience.
PREPARING TO MOVE-IN
Now that you have found your new apartment or house, moving in is accompanied by many different responsibilities you did not have before. So, what’s next? Here are some steps to take that can help you experience a successful move:
1. Schedule a date to pick up your keys.
- This is a great opportunity to ask your landlord to do a walk-through before you move your furniture into the unit.
2. Set-up utilities
- These utilities include gas, electric, water/sewage, internet, etc.
- Generally, it will be the tenant’s responsibility to make arrangements for utility connections. It’s best to contact companies at least two weeks before move in. You may need the following to set up your utility account:
- Rental address
- Deposit fee
- Proof of identity (license, student ID, military ID, etc.)
- Either your Social Security Number or a passport.
3. Reserve a moving truck or friends to help you move
- Reserve a moving truck well in advance so you’re ready to go on move-in day. Check out the moving checklist to your right for a list of supplies to bring with you for your big day.
4. Optional: buy renters insurance
- Renters insurance, a must-have, is very inexpensive and offers benefits to students. Make certain your policy takes effect the day you get your keys and move-in.
- See Parking Guidelines information HERE
6. Do a fire safety check
- Ask your landlord to provide the following if they are not already present in the unit:
- A fire extinguisher for each floor of the rental unit.
- Smoke and carbon monoxide detectors for each floor and each bedroom. A combined 2-in-1 device is commonly available and is less expensive.
The Tenant Resource Center: http://www.tenantresourcecenter.org/